Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hopes and Fears for 2011

Our Hopes:
• that we will see and recognize some of the people we met last year.
• that I'll be able to help the people there have a better life, and that I will have a fun experience.
• to connect meaningfully with the men, women and children on the bateys; and to make a positive impact.
• that the group comes together as well as we did last year.
• that the trip is everything I hope it to be: rewarding, fun, motivational, humbling.
• to feel like I have made a substantial contribution to the health and well-being of the DR children.
• that we can reach as many people as possible with health care and meds and that we don't run out!
• to touch the lives of people who might not otherwise receive the emotional and physical care they need.
• to use my nursing skills in a challenging environment.
• to learn more about cultures in countries other than the US.
• to learn how fortunate we are.
• to foster the seed of service in my daughter.
• to share my medical skills in a productive way.
• to have fun!
• to raise enough money to do all that we want.
• to be comfortable in an unfamiliar place and to help as many people as possible.
• that my family will end up going on this trip.
• that we have enough food to feed anyone.
• to save some people/babies like we did last year.
• to increase my son's appreciation and awareness of other cultures.
• to have a team building experience.
• that we are better organized ahead of time.

Our Fears:
• missing home/family a lot
• getting sick
• lack of Spanish will hamper my ability to communicate with people and/or to be helpful.
• that I won't have the energy to keep up.
• how people there will react to our presence.
• parasites.
• encephalitis.
• violence.
• anxiety of being out of the USA.
• that my sensitive daughter will have a difficult time.
• that we will get lost.
• airport troubles.
• that it will be weird to return to US after having been away.
• not having enough food to distribute again.

No comments:

Post a Comment