Friday, November 25, 2022

The Last Day

The first thing Ms. French said to us when we gathered as a full Watkinson team for the first time, months ago in the dining hall, was “This trip is not about you.” Ms. French meant that we must all put ego aside as we devote ourselves to the work of service. However, as we prepare to leave the DR early tomorrow morning, it seems as if Ms. French was wrong. This trip is about each of our 11 students who traveled to the DR, in a very specific way. Part of the mission of Watkinson school is to turn our students into responsible global citizens and to give them the power to shape the world around them. As evidenced by Gaby R.’s testimony below, this trip has gone a long way towards accomplishing that mission.

Gaby — As our trip comes to a close, and the chaos of repacking begins, I've begun to reflect on my experiences on the trip. From meeting the sweetest kids at construction, to hectically sorting through medicine for patients at the med clinic, this week was one like I’ve never experienced before. When I return home, I'll bring with me a completely new mindset and way of thinking about my life. The wonderful people I’ve met this week have taught me that even when I feel at my lowest I should always give love and have a positive attitude. The people I bonded with at Batey Papita were some of the sweetest I’ve ever met despite how they were living. I'll think about them for the rest of my life. Never did I think I would do the things I’ve done this week and here I am. I send an endless amount of gratitude to everyone involved in this trip and everyone I met along the way. I would never trade any of this for the world and I’m beyond grateful that I got to experience it with these people :-)






































No comments:

Post a Comment